I got my RAM upgrade yesterday, so now my ancient beast of a laptop is not running on 160 MB of RAM (Xubuntu claimed it had 154 MB), it now has the maximum it can handle, 288 MB (Xubuntu claims 281).
The bad news is that it’s not as huge a help as I had hoped. The idle state, running the OS and nothing else, used to take up 50 to 65 MB, and now takes between 90 and 100. With Firefox running, and nothing else, between 120 and 138 MB would be taken up, where now it’s 180 to 200.
The good news is that it’s running a lot more smoothly, as the computer makes very little use of the swap partition — previously it would have up to 250 MB on the swap, but right this moment I’ve only got 65 there. I can now (theoretically, at least) run another program and Firefox at the same time, without causing both to grind the computer to a halt. I might even test it later today.
For now, though, I’m pretty happy. 🙂